CTPUG & GDG Hack Night
A joint hack night with the Google Developers Group.
It's an opportunity for all those in Cape Town to gather and work on things together. If you're a newcomer looking to learn Python, there'll be experienced Pythonistas on hand to answer questions and give guidance -- we have some (really) simple exercises to get you started. If you're an old hand, come along and show people what you're working on. Gather ideas -- and maybe helpers -- and share your thoughts and experiences with others.
- Date: 26th February 2013
- Time: 18:30
- Where: 88mph
- Bring: Laptop and excitement
- Meetup event: http://www.meetup.com/Cape-Town-Python-Users-Group-CTPUG/events/103467942/
- Silicon Cape event: http://www.siliconcape.com/events/ctpug-gdg-hack-night
18:30 Arrive and set up
19:30 Work on projects (and pizzas arrive)
23:00 Close up
There will be a code dojo focussing on writing a cffi wrapper for SQLite.
- A laptop (or let us know beforehand and we'll make a plan)
Things we'll have at the venue
- Pizzas and drinks (sponsored by Silicon Cape)
- Tutors to help newcomers
Projects for newcomers
- Installing Python
- Choosing an editor / IDE
- Structuring a first Python project
- Basics of the Python language
Projects for those familiar with Python
If you have a project you'd like help on, please bring it along!
- Writing unit tests in Python
- Packaging Python projects
- Using cffi to wrap C libraries
- Porting projects to Python 3
Guessing Game Example used in tutorial
Pick a random number and ask the user to guess it:
First Python game written by Michelle, Andrew and Grant immediately after the tutorial:
Next hack night
To be determined.